Why use Discovery?
People are at the heart of ‘teams’ and any business with more than one person is likely to have some form of ‘team issue’. The question is: how much better could the team actually be? – by better, think “profitable, productive, efficient & effective”.
Discovery develops current team members to improve their performance (individual and collaborative) for the good of the team and, when necessary, bring new people into a team with the skills and capabilities that have been identified as missing. A fully collaborative team will lead to improvements in:
• Culture - people enjoy the workplace and being in the team & feel fulfilled.
• Staff retention - keep hold of your key players.
• Staff engagement - people believe in the objectives and see how they contribute.
• Customer retention – retaining custom is significantly cheaper than acquiring new customers.
• Sustainability - we treat the cause, not the symptoms which means firm foundations in the team.
• Commercial thinking in team members – understanding the impact of doing or not doing.
• Holistic as well and specific development – looking beyond technical ability to create well-rounded people.
This all leads to bottom line improvements such as increased productivity, profitability, growth and welfare.
Discovery assesses a team’s current performance based on their ability to perform, and not just through metrics such as KPIs or individual targets.
What is involved in building an effective team?
Discovery look at the core purpose of the team and the behaviours that are being demonstrated by team members. Behaviours will predict performance – essentially the habits that people have.
This requires a deep understanding of areas such as:
The challenges and limitations
of the existing team.
Identifying the root cause of those problems
(treat the cause not the problem).
What the business means by “team” and
what is expected of that team.